Saturday, July 31, 2010

Deadwood, Devil's Tower & Close Encounters





Day 10:
Double digits!!! Today was one historic day. First thing in the morning we visited the alive town of Deadwood, which characters from the past, such as Wild Bill Hickok are memorialized and are great tourist attractions. Today they had a parade of different figures and other interesting things... too bad we missed it by about five minutes, which was a real shame because it sounded really cool.
Our next stop was to the very tall Devil's Tower, which is a famous spot for close encounters of the unknown, used in the movie "Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind," and a perfect spot for sunbathing prarie dogs. It's also the very first national monument. Native Americans used to believe that seven girls were chased by a bear, so they jumped on a stone and prayed to the gods to save them... and suddenly the stone skyrocketed into the sky and the girls were reincarnated into stars. But truly the tower was once an active volcano, but its top is sealed and the very top of the tower has its own ecosystem of extraordinary animals. Records have it that a handful of people ascended the tower, but today many climbers can go up and reach the top as well. However, there was probably many Native Americans who climbed the tower before there was a form of records.
We are settled in Cody, WY and plan to visit Yellowstone national park, accomplishing the first fourth of our trip, and then heading to the south to states such as Arizona. Big day tomorrow, better get some rest.

7 comments:

  1. I want to be a sunbathing prairie dog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pee Wee why don't I get to be the prairie dog?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Aidan! You are hitting so many places we've yet to visit. Mt. Rushmore is unbelievable. I still can't figure out how they did that, or who even thought of doing it! Really is bizarre. Also, Google the Four Corners(UT,NM,AZ,CO) in the NY Times this week. Don't know if it's on your list, but don't rush to get there. They closed off one of the corners, and tourists are traveling far and wide, only to be surprised with a missing corner. It really isn't much of a site to begin with, apparently. I always wanted to see it, but I think I can safely remove it from the must-see list. So, if it's on your list, be prepared! Keep in touch, and enjoy! Do you have more photos to send? xoauntmad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Aidan! I'm so impressed with your blog! I've been so busy this summer so I just had the time to catch myself up with your adventure. I'm so jealous! I hope to go on a cross-country roadtrip sometime during college. While your in Arizona, try to find some horsehair pottery. It is this special kind of pottery that they make in the southwest out of horsehair, it's pretty extraordinary! Sounds like you're having a great time. Say hello to everyone for me! Love, Jolie (ps i'm using my blog that I have for a club in my school)

    ReplyDelete
  5. *just kidding I changed it so it's my screenname now! Also, prairie dogs are adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where the prairie dogs trying to cross the road?

    ReplyDelete
  7. buffalo - my dad got them before they got to the other side. kersplat!

    ReplyDelete