Monday, August 23, 2010

The Wright Stuff




Day 33:
Today we left Cape Hatteras and the Outer Banks of North Carolina. On our drive north we stopped at the Wright Brothers Museum in Kitty Hawk, NC which is where the famous brothers flew their very first plane. They picked Kitty Hawk because of the wind conditions and the fact that it was a beach so that if they fell the sand would be a soft landing. We were a part of the first in flight, or first in Wright! We learned all about the mechanics of the first glider and airplane with hip-cradles and rudders and all that jazz. Once again, my sister received a junior park ranger patch (with help from me, of course.) There was a demonstration of the flight of the Wright brothers making history and we stood on the actual site of the first take off (which lasted only 12 minutes). We would have gone up to the obelisk, but it was too far, and we already saw a time-capsule of the first century of flight, to be opened in 2103. While we were driving, we encountered a strange alien saucer that looks like it's occupied by very alien-like owner. We drove to Williamsburg, VA, but missed the WELCOME sign as it's the smallest thing you could possibly see. We had very good Italian food at a restaurant called (I'm not kidding), "Sal's next to Victor's". After dinner we went mini-golfing and sadly, my dad won, then my mom, then a dead-tie between me & my sister. I wish I could have crushed her under my heel. Tomorrow we will visit the Historic Quarter of Williamsburg and stay for one more night and then make our way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment